Shahabuddeen Abid Ally, Esq.
|Address:||299 Broadway, Suite 1405
New York, New York 10007
LEGAL EXPERIENCELaw Offices of Shahabuddeen A. Ally, P.C., New York, New York
Principal Attorney, September 2007 to Present
- General litigation law firm with a concentration in the areas of Matrimonial, Family and Criminal law. Regularly appears in the State Courts of New York, including in all Family Courts, Criminal Courts and Supreme Courts in New York City.
- Currently assigned to the Family Court 18b Assigned Counsel Plan (New York County).
- Handle various Family Law matters including representation of litigants in Child Protective cases, Juvenile Delinquency cases, Child Custody/Visitation matters, Family Offense matters and Child Support.
- Appear regularly in Criminal Courts on a variety of misdemeanor and felony matters.
- Appear in Supreme Court on Matrimonial matters.
Assistant Corporation Counsel
Bronx County, September 2004 to November 2005
New York County, November 2005 to September 2007
Sex Crimes Prosecution Unit, June 2005 to September 2007
Major Crimes Unit, June 2005 to September 2007
- Prosecuted juvenile delinquency cases on behalf of the City of New York in Bronx County and New York County. Responsible for all aspects of case presentation, from witness interview, trial prep, court appearances, trials/hearings and dispositions.
- Handle all aspects of a juvenile delinquency case, from victim/police officer interviews, draft complaints/petitions, trial prep, presentation of trial/hearings and disposition/sentencing. Performed legal research on complex issues of criminal law and juvenile delinquency law.
- Responsible for the prosecution of all sex crimes in New York County as a member of the Sex Crimes Prosecution Unit. Conducted full investigations of sex crimes, including interviews of victims, witnesses, law enforcement and service providers.
- Worked in collaboration with the Child Advocacy Center (CAC), Special Victims Unit of the New York City Police Department and New York County District Attorney’s Office.
Staff Attorney, September 2001 to September 2004
- Represented the City of New York in the prosecution of child protective proceedings and termination of parental rights proceedings. .
- Served as a senior attorney, performing legal work on allegations of abuse and neglect pursuant to Article 10 of the Family Court Act.
- Responsible for case management from intake to post-dispositional stages of litigation. Determined viable witnesses, admissibility of types of evidence and matters of legal strategy. Recommended and negotiated settlements to all parties in the action.
- Conducted full fact-finding hearings and presented evidence, direct examination of witnesses, cross examination of witnesses, and summation on Article 10 abuse and neglect proceedings.
- Researched complex issues of family law, criminal law, and child protective proceedings to prepare family court and appellate division appearances.
- Trained and supervised attorneys and interns; including appearing as co-counsel with less experienced attorneys at court hearings.
- Submitted motion papers on behalf of ACS and contracted agencies.
EDUCATIONHOFSTRA UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW, Juris Doctorate May 2001
Honors: Member, Labor Law Moot Court Team, Fall 2000
CITY COLLEGE OF NEW YORK, Bachelor of Arts, May 1998
Honors: Magna Cum Laude, May 1998
Activities: Vice-President, Day Student Government, September 1995 to May 1996.
Member, Model United Nations Competition team, Jan 1994 to May 1994.
BAR ADMISSIONNew York State, February 2002.
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Member, Juvenile Justice Committee, New York City Bar Association, June – May .
- Member, Minorities in the Court Committee, New York City Bar Association, June – May .
- Member, Chief Administrative Judge’s Advisory Committee on Child Protection, New York City Family Court, January to Present.
- Member, Chief Administrative Judge’s Committee on Cross-Over Youths, New York City Family Court, January to Present.
- Member, Family Court Advisory Committee, First Judicial Department, Appointed by Chief Justice Gonzalez, May to Present.
- Member, New York City Bar Association.
- Member, Puerto Rican Bar Association.
- Member, Metropolitan Black Bar Association.
- Member, Dominican Bar Association.
- Member, Asian American Bar Association of New York.
- Member, South Asian Bar Association of New York.
- Member, Muslim Bar Association of New York.
TEACHING POSITIONSLong Island University, Brooklyn, New York
Adjunct Professor, September 2013 to present
- Teach a Master’s level course in Family Law for the Counseling and School Psychology department. Focus of the course is to educate mental health and counseling students of the various areas of Family Law.
- Responsible for the development of the curriculum and syllabus for the course. Make selection of assigned textbooks and reading materials for the course. Develop assignments and grading for the course.
- Chairman, Manhattan Community Board #, Washington Heights & Inwood., January to present.
- Member, Board of Directors, Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone (UMEZ). June to present.
- Chair, Community Association of Progressive Dominicans (ACDP), September to present.
- Chair, Public Safety Committee, Community Board M, January to December .
- Vice-Chair, Licensing Committee, Community Board M, January to January. .
- Member, New York County Committee, Democratic Committee, ED/AD /, September to present.
- Vice-Chair, Promesa Housing Development Fund Corporation, Acacia Network. September to present.
- Secretary, Promesa Enterprises, Ltd., Acacia Network. September to present.
- Treasurer, Audubon Partnership for Economic Development Local Development Corporation. September to present.
- Member, Board of Directors, Concord Avenue Housing Development Fund Corporation. September to present.
- Member, Community League of the Heights (CLOTH), January to present.